Sunday, March 9, 2008

Made in …

I was, in October 1985, in the coastal town of Bude in the west coast of England for a weekend. I arrived there after a long journey by bus and train and was really tired. I checked into a small hotel and decided to take a shower before exploring the town.

I went into the small cubicle of the bathroom and had a hot refreshing shower. I pulled the huge turkey towel from the rack and started drying myself. The feeling was extraordinary. The towel was huge and soft and very absorbent. I was dry in a jiffy. I fell in love with the towel and decided to find out where it came from and buy one exactly like that – provided, of course, that I could afford it.

I looked for the label and stood there staring at it. Binny, proclaimed the label. And very helpfully clarified, “Made in Bangalore”. Right 'next door' from Mysore, where I came from.

Not “Made in India” mind you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really amazing. I like reading your blog and travel experiences. A nice virtual experience.

Anil Jagalur said...

Thanks Anonymous!
It would be nice if you lose your anonymity though! :D