Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Fortune Teller

One of my favourite Sunday programmes used to be to go to Manasa Gangotri, sit under a tree and read something.

One day as I sat there reading, I was disturbed by a itinerant fortune teller. Usually these people are from the northern parts of Karnataka. They wear kachche panche and jubba (kurta) and a Gandhi cap.

This one was persistent. I tried to ignore him and realised that you can't ignore someone and read at the same time. I tried telling him that I was not interested. He did not believe it. I told him that I did not believe in it. He tried to tell me that I should try him once and I would know.

Finally I asked him, "You do not even know your own future - whether I will let you tell me my future and pay you for it. How could you know my future?"

He beat a hasty retreat.

1 comment:

SN said...

No comments on this one (Psst...my maternal grandfather is an Astrologer in Rishikesh ;)

Oops!!!It's a comment already!