Monday, January 21, 2008

Just a Few Words of Tamizh

I was travelling from Ranchi to Bangalore by train. The train reached Madras a little late and I had to catch the train to Bangalore. There was very little time and there were no boards to lead me to the platform from which the train to Bangalore started.

I found a railway official sitting at a desk and answering queries from other travellers. I went there too and tried my luck. “Excuse me”… “Excuse me”…. No response. I tried a few more times. No luck. Then I realised that this would not work. I raised my voice a bit and said, “inge paarongo saar”. The reaction was immediate. I had caught the attention of the man. I asked my question, got the answer and was on the train straight away.

The trick was to talk to the man in his language and this was about all the Tamizh I knew!

Phew……

3 comments:

SN said...

Haha!!! I learnt to speak the basics of Tamil. Epdi Irruka? Naan nalla irruken! Etc...

How can you manage to remember such heavy words!? I really can't!

SN said...

By the way, Urdu is a very easy language(I mean its script), I learnt it last year :-) and all this while I thought Urdu is tougher than Tamil/Malayalam/Kannada/Telugu.

pRiyA said...

Yup, been there done that!
I think the moral of your stories are - one needs to know the 'key words' in every language.